When customers visit a retail store, such as a grocery store, clothing store, or salon, we expect to have a safe, pleasant experience. For the most part, most retailers meet this basic expectation. However, many customers are injured each year, often because of the store’s negligence.
Whether it’s a slippery floor, faulty stairs or broken door mechanism, stores are responsible for ensuring their environment is safe and hazard-free.
If you or someone with you is injured in a store, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- If the injuries are severe enough, ask for medical care. Call 911 or the local ambulance service as a precaution. Your health and safety should be the top priority.
- As to speak to the store owner or manager. Make sure they know the accident occurred and any relevant details. Depending on the store, the manager may be required to complete paperwork documenting the incident. Be sure to ask who you should contact about your claim.
- Write down the names and phone numbers of any witnesses (or employees).
- Use your cell phone camera to take pictures of the area, focusing on any obvious issues.
- Keep all of the documentation about the incident, including medical bills, lost wages, and medical documentation.
If you are injured, you may have a valid claim against the store. While many incidents do not require an attorney, some do. If you have experienced an injury because of the negligence of a retail store, contact Tammy Bowles Raines Law Office for a free consultation.