The short answer is that it depends on the situation. When you are involved in a wreck while in another state, your situation instantly becomes more complicated.  Attorneys are licensed to practice law on a state by state basis and cannot represent you in courts unless they are licensed in that specif state. Since each state has unique laws governing traffic, lawsuits and a host of other issues, you need an attorney who is licensed and familiar with the laws of the state.


Tammy Bowles Raines is licensed in West Virginia and through a legal process known as pro hac vice where a lawyer can proceed in another state temporarily on a case, has worked on matters in surrounding states with licensed attorneys in those states.   Tammy Bowles Raines  will gladly work with you to find a reputable attorney in the area of the incident. Call our office for more information.